Sunday 16 December 2012

Project Icarus Part 2



Image from ScottJarvis.com


This is probably the last update this side of the year, but some progress to report.

Firstly, I have had a lot of interest in this, so much so that I am now building two versions. One the original planned Icarus. The second a two player version which you can plug into a television,with the intention of selling them.

For the purposes of this blog, they will be referred to as Icarus I and Icarus II.

For an indication of what the two player version will look like. Take a look at

http://www.plasmafire.org/projects/portable-mame-control-panel

Whilst I think that is a cracking bit of design, I want to create something that takes you back to a pier by the seaside circa 1989 , but with a powerful bit of umpf under the bonnet.  This is probably going to be a project that is measured in months not weeks.

So going back to Icarus I

Good news, the monitor turned up - bad news no PSU- doubt that will arrive before xmas.
Good news,  I finally got MAME running on Ubuntu. I did this by first removing Ubuntu, following these steps

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/reinstallation

Then installed MAME by using the following

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/10/how-to-install-mame-multiple-arcade.html

Bad news, painfully slow and using the controller kept taking us to the ubuntu desktop

Good news, found something that did work and that is puppy arcade pictured at the top by Scott Jarvis.
I got this to install fairly hassle free, but it does not recognise my wifi driver -cant be arsed to look into why and don't care.

Good new, it works and at a very reasonable speed. I can now move the project over to my workbench. Here is Double Dragon (classic game - remember the whip?) running



I also had a quick fire up of  the sega genesis emulator with Puppy arcade and the controller (after configuring) worked perfect with that too.  Nb. as this drove me nuts first time (ALT + ENTER Exit full screen)



Finally what will make the enclosure of Icarus I arrived this week, a lot of prep to do on it, but I now have dimensions to work to. Just need to get my head around hydraulics first....















No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails